background

Thursday, June 30, 2011

My Thoughts About E-Readers

I love the library, I love the smell of books, I love talking about books, I love shelving books (when I worked for a library)  My dream job is to be a librarian.  When I was a child, my ideal birthday party was getting to have a sleepover in the library and have random story times.  I used to love reading but have since lost interest.  It's funny how much I love talking about books and starting books, but to get me to actually finish a book is a stretch.  I lose interest, I can't find the time or I lose the book.

For my birthday Jeff got me an e-reader.  This is something I have been really really wanting for awhile in hopes I would read more, but I was unsure if  I would really like it.  I have just finished my first book (yeah yeah it's almost July and my birthday is in April.. I am planning a wedding... cut me some slack! =)).  I have decided that I love my e-reader 99%.

I love that the battery life is so long.  I have only had to charge it once. 
I love that I don't have to hurt my thumbs holding a book open. 
I love that I can scroll to a word and the dictionary on my device tells me the definition. 
I love that I can highlight things and give my opinions. 
I love that I can read in the sunlight with it.
I mostly love that it fits right in my purse so I am never left stranded anywhere with nothing to do.

I don't miss see the physical pages and how far I am.  There is a % ticker on the bottom that tells me that
I don't miss only have two weeks to read the book or renew it at the library.


After finishing my first book today I realize there are just a few things I don't like:

I don't like that at the end of the book I didn't get to SLAM the book shut.  I didn't realize this is probably my favorite part of finishing a book.  I would feel very accomplished when I did that.
I don't like that e-readers are hurting the libraries.
I don't like that I can't trade books with friends.  I realize some have the capability of this, but mine doesn't.

All in all I LOVE mine.  I would highly suggest everyone go out and buy one!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I love mine too! I don't love how much more money I spend on books though! Mine is capable of checking out books from the library and lending, but I rarely use either of those features. Checking books out is tedious and cumbersome. Lending and borrowing requires having friends with the same type of device. Boo.
Glad you like yours.