background

Thursday, February 17, 2011

You're Late... and Smell


So it happened. Our dog, who is a total flight risk, ran away. Don't worry, this story has a happy ending, although, I was ready to see him run for the hills after what he put me through.


We rescued Sherman. The rescue farm had found him wandering around town. We already knew he was a flight risk. I got gutsy with him. Jeff was reluctant, but when the snow kept falling and Sherman kept just staying in our yard, Jeff was on the wagon too! The snow has since melted, the rabbits are still living under our deck and there are MANY fresh smells for a dog.


I was right on time for work. Sherman went to the door this morning instead of his cage so I let him out. He sniffed around the deck like usual. Then he went over to Louis' (our neighbor) yard. We know him, so I followed through the back yard yelling his name. Sherman sniffs, trots along and doesn't come near me. Off to the next neighbor's house.


I have no idea who they are.... I go through their yard. Sherman hops along and decides he would rather see the front of everyone's house. I follow.


Sherman spots a young doggie lad across the street and doesn't want to be rude. He goes over to say hello. I follow.


Sherman realizes he had to go to the bathroom. He goes to a nearby lot to relieve himself. I follow.


The dog is super pumped to see Sherman, so he goes back over to have a conversation. I feel bad at this point for going through everyone's yard like an intrusive cat. I had Jeff on the phone and in a panic asked what I should do. I couldn't go through one more yard. The neighbor is outside and yells for me that I can come get Sherman. I walk in yet another yard.


She is holding him until I get there. I state that he will forever be on a leash from this point on. I pick him up and hold him against my bright white shirt and walk through the piles of doggie doo in my black and white striped zebra shoes.


I remove the shoes when I walk around to the back of our house, still carrying Sherman.


I put him in his cage, change my shoes and suddenly I am 20 min. late for work. Too bad I don't drink coffee. If I did, I would be making it Irish this morning.


The verdict is still out whether the shoes will make it through this tragedy. The life of a dog owner is never boring.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

oh my gosh. I seriously hope your shoes come clean!! Spray-n-wash works wonders. :)

more importantly, I'm glad Sherman didn't go for a swim in the pond also :)

Anonymous said...

Grandma says: "Ok Mr. Sherman, The social butterfly, you need to stay out of other peoples yard and off the road!"

Anonymous said...

It sure looks like Sherman is pretty close to that slipper. He is really going to be in the doghouse if he decides it's a chewing toy.

Janelle said...

I guard those slippers with my life. There is no way he forgot how much trouble he got in when he ate the socks!