background

Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Cooking Adventures of Team Double J

Jeff and I do not know how to cook. This is a plain and simple fact. We have fooled ourselves into thinking we are anything more than mere toast connoisseures. I will prove my point in the following post.
Yesterday we headed off to the grocery store to buy the fixin's for dinner this evening. We were in the store deciding between baked potatoes, or 'creek fries'. I made Jeff decide. Baked Potatoes it is!
Tonight we fire up the grill and Jeff points to the potatoes. I look at him, he looks at me. We are clueless. It was at this point were the realization sets in. We both assumed the other knew how to make a baked potato. YUP... We don't know how to make one. *Pauses for eye rolls* Jeff said we needed foil (which he doesn't have) I knew something about poking holes with a fork. These two things combined just wasn't enough information to make a baked potato.
We then decided to start a new tradition. Trying to 'wing' it at cooking. (no pun intended) haha We cut the potatoes into chuncks. We each got to chose a sesasoning. Jeff decided on Italian Seasoning. I decided on Seasoned Salt.
As I cut the potatoes into chunks, Jeff was busy dipping the chunks in oil and putting them on the cookie sheet. We covered half with his seasoning and half with mine. At this point Jeff says "These can either turn out really good, or horrible!" This thought will linger in our minds the next 20 nail biting minutes while they are baking.
The Chicken is grilled and the potatoes are done. We take a quick picture of our creation and get ready to eat...

Survey Says... drum roll.... SUCCESS!!! We have succeeded at our first winging it cooking night!

I can sense that some of you out there who do know how to cook more than butternoodles, are thinking. DUH.. These are both normal things to put on potatoes. You can certainaly keep those thoughts to yourself. We are going to hold on to this win of a cooking experience, and won't let anyone let us think differently! haha

That is about all for now from the Jster cooking team.

OVER AND OUT!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

Congrats on the successful cooking experiment! You have to start somewhere. For example, I personally think that Jodi is an excellent cook these days, but I would have never thought it a few years ago when her idea of "cooking dinner" was pouring her soy milk over her cereal at dinner time :)

Anonymous said...

My heart is swelled with pride!!

and by the way...if you put potatoes in the oven to bake, you don't necessarily have to use foil. They can go naked and then you get that really good brown flavor.

Anonymous said...

MMMM Soy Milk!!!! The difference is having someone to cook FOR (or with!!). I've always liked to cook, but cereal seems alot easier when your single. =) That's for the compliments Steph.. you may have earned yourself some chocolate chip cookies! - Jodi